Viscotek TDAmax: Gel Permeation / Size Exclusion Chromatography (GPC/SEC)Source: Malvern Instruments
The Viscotek TDAmax is a complete, research grade, temperature controlled, multi-detector GPC/SEC system suitable for the molecular weight and molecular size determination of proteins, natural and synthetic polymers, copolymers and other macromolecules.
The TDAmax consists of three components – the GPCmax integrated solvent and sample delivery module, the Triple or Tetra Detector Array (TDA), incorporating RI, Light Scattering, Viscosity, optional UV detectors, and OmniSEC software. The integrated detectors and columns are fully temperature controlled up to 80°C to ensure optimum detector stability, and the detectors being series ensure maximum sensitivity.
- Absolute molecular weight of small polymers, protein stability and protein aggregation using Right angle light scattering (RALS)
- Direct output of absolute molecular weight of polymers without extrapolation using Low angle light scattering (LALS)
- Protein and polymer structure information using intrinsic viscosity detector for all sample and solvent types
- Molecular size in terms of hydrodynamic diameter and Rg
- Copolymer composition using single or multi-wavelength UV detector
- Autosampler incorporated to increase throughput and improve repeatability
- Comprehensive functionality software featuring “two clicks from data to results’
- 3D absorption plot for chemical identification of each component
- 21 CFR part 11 compliant
- Full suite of calibration and GPC/SEC calculation types.
How it works: Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC), also known as Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC)
This is a chromatographic technique that employs specialized columns to separate natural and synthetic polymers, biopolymers, proteins or nanoparticles on the basis of size.
As the sample is separated and elutes from the column, it can be characterized by a single concentration detector, using ‘Conventional calibration’, to give a relative molecular weight, the addition of viscosity enables the use of ‘Universal calibration’ to give true molecular weight and structural information, and ‘Triple Detection’, which adds light scattering to eliminate column calibration to give absolute molecular weight and distribution.
The TDAmax includes a triple detector and column compartment that are all maintained at a constant temperature to ensure repeatability. The detector cells are optimized in terms of design and volume to minimize any degradation of the separation, to give the maximum resolution and sensitivity.
A single or multiple wavelength UV detector can be added to provide compositional analysis for copolymer analysis or peak identification.